Saturday, February 12, 2005

Becoming a doctor

The reasons why I have chosen medicine hit me at the oddest, no, the most appropriate times. Certainly at the most personal times.

I'm currently contacting physicians to deal with a person close to me who has been diagnosed with cancer. So far I'm just fielding the area, explaining the story and hoping that people will point me in good directions. And it is amazing how much support I already feel for my loved one. Every time I receive the warm responses that each physician sends, I count my lucky stars. I cannot help but think of that physician as a savior. He or she is working to preserve life. It is amazing how strong and intimidating a charge that is, and the doctors are emailing me back on their Saturday afternoons, when they could be napping on the couch or eating a pizza. They aren't relaxing, their jobs are forever.

It's amazing what souls I see in them, and how sincerely they want to make sure that people get the best care. And I am amazed when I see that come out in myself, in little, less educated, but still hopeful bits. Fumbling my way through explanations of medical terms, trying to give everyone a positive outlook, and trying to be realistic about everything as well. It's amazing what can come up in you when the necessity arises. And you realize that the times indeed do come up when you can actually help another person.

No comments:

Post a Comment