Sunday, March 06, 2005

Getting the Tapwave Zodiac

I know i'm a great big nerd when it comes to technology products. And I shouldn't be. I'm not a gamer; I probably don't use my current PC to its fullest. But I love a good screen and I love a good deal. So I am totally excited to be getting the Tapwave Zodiac. Why am I so excited? I have no particular reason. Didn't I tell you I was a nerd?

Plus, finding a PDA has been a most agonizing process. I was all ready to get a Palm T3 until I learned that the price was rising, supplies were falling, and the T3 was all but impossible to find unless you wanted a refurbished model. So there went that idea. I was excited about the Zodiac from the start, but everyone's discouraged me, saying it's for gamers, etc. So I said Ok, I can go ahead and look into HPs and Dells. HPs were right out, considering that with the new line of ugly, big huge awful HP PDAs came (1) high prices and (2) the obliteration of the perfectly good older models. And I was all about the dells until techies at my medical school explained that the medical world really does love Palm best.

So there I was on the track back to Tungsten. But then I found a terrific Tapwave support site, run by users who are very enthusiastic about their PDAs, and found much-needed support for my attraction to the Zodiac 2. One thing I love about the PDA world is that you really don't need to get the top of the line merchandise to fit your needs for the next 5-6 years. It's such a niche audience that actually owns PDAs that new models aren't revolutionary compared to their predecessors, and people don't replace PDAs too often. You can get a much older model and get by for a long time (which is why I was attracted to the T3 in the first place). But when all's said and done, the Zodiac is a terrific deal, has a lot of memory, and a big, beautiful screen with support for sandisk's wi-fi card. I love a company that's willing to work with what's already out there, rather than relying on absolutely everything being proprietary (ahem, PalmOne)

1 comment:

  1. Great post & well said. Your impressions of the Zodiac are shared by more people than you'd think.

    ReplyDelete