Sunday, May 14, 2006

Memories of Berlin

A quick note just before I tuck in:


I was rereading my old Germany trip diary and looking at pictures from a few years ago - in preparation for my upcoming Berlin adventure. One of the places I'm dying to visit again is a fabulous set of murals I randomly found in East Berlin during my last trip. I was wandering through the city on my own and came to a book store where I saw a postcard of the most terrific mural. I had no idea where to find it but looked at the back of the postcard to find the neighborhood in which it was located. Then I set out walking, as I had nothing better to do than to just enjoy the city.

And all of a sudden I came upon the mural, standing, immense before me. And below the mural was this huge park full of industrial-looking art. I was all by myself in this wonderland gallery. Completely mysterious and uninhabited. And then I walked into the building, which is apparently an abandoned department store, and viewed the most interesting anti-capitalist posters. I didn't quite know what to make of it all, but there it was, lots of anger, lots of frustration, standing silent before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment