Sunday, May 14, 2006

The verdict on Mystery Eve

So last night was one of the great events in Pitt Med Social History, bringing up memories of the Blair Witch Project -- not for the horror, but for the sheer genius in the hype that surrounded the event. Mystery Eve was billed as a night that would be at an unforgettable location -- undisclosed till we arrived at the venue.

I think that the most enjoyable part of the night was the bus ride to get to the location. We were equipped with covered, shaded buses, with various curtains hung throughout to completely conceal where we were headed. Sitting in the back, my friends and I were straining to hear the triumphant "mystery music" playing from a student's I-Pod up front, so we entertained the bus with our personal renditions of "Bohemian Rhapsody" [in full], the Tiny Toon Adventures theme song, "Pour Some Sugar on Me," "Hold On," and as a grand finale - the B-52's own "Love Shack." Someone should have been paying us, I swear.

I had suspected the Science Center initially, but the final location did exceed my expectations - we partied at Heinz Field, home to the Steelers and the Pitt Panthers. Not bad for a med school party, eh? And it turned out pretty nice - they set up a tent with live band just above the field, with appetizers galore and lots of semiformally attired medical students and faculty, mingling and enjoying eats and the cash bar.

I have two criticisms, aside from which the planners did a fabulous job and really succeeded in keeping their secret and giving us all a nice evening. First: In the end I pretty much forgot where we were - I sincerely hope that the greatest expense was not accrued in securing this location. While it adds a great surprise value initially, once you've started to party, where you are doesn't matter as much as the people who are with you.

My other criticism is that the band was bent on playing music from 1972, peppered with Blues and - what? - music by Chicago?? I would have loved some more party-type music. Like the stuff you hear at weddings that makes you want to boogie-oogie-oogie. I don't need to be played boring swanky music at a swanky place. And I think the band could have done a better job of building on the good party songs that emerged throughout the night - like playing a string of 3-4 good fast songs before bringing back slow bluesy stuff.

But this is all just to be whiny - it was fun. The class was brought together. I got to see several attendings socially, when I usually just see them on the wards. And the conversations were inevitably more entertaining and enjoyable! It's nice to let loose and just enjoy the people around you, learn what their lives are like outside medicine and to enjoy each other's sense of humor. Overall I give it 4.2 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment